Fishy Proposal

First, let me say I’m not a big fan of shellfish, but when this wine bottle suggested crab as a pairing possibility, I had to try it.

“Serve chilled with crab cakes, seared Ahi tuna on waffle crackers or fresh baked French bread and cheese” says the back label of my 2010 Cupcake chardonnay. Initially, I wondered just how dedicated they are to actual pairing, as everyone and their grandmother already know about the cheese thing even if cheese is the number cupcake chardonnayone taste eliminator of subtle flavours in white wines. I mulling it over and decided to be impressed by the company’s attempt to educate its interested drinkers with these mini menus. Great idea!

Some of you may know that I’ve been flirting with Cupcake for weeks and though I’ve enjoyed it with many dishes, for some reason this exoskeleton proposal stuck in my mind.

You don’t think it could have anything to do with my arachnophobia, do ya?

spider w shadow

crab3

Naaah…

So today I finally had enough nerve. The verdict? The wine was the best part of the pair.

However, I see what they mean; the delicate blend of distinct flavours of the Cupcake, being fruity to start with a long woody finish, were not overpowered by the Trader Joe’s Maryland crab cakes. Much like sniffing coffee between perfumes or ‘cleansing’ ones palette with pickled ginger before another bite of sushi, the chardonnay made it possible to get through the meal.

salad_poached_eggI’m trying the tuna next, though probably without the crackers. A mixed green salad complete with five minute egg on top, sliced open to drool out like a Hawaiian volcano is more my style.

But for those of you not in love with seafood, please, be my guest – move on to the cheese!


logo_chewn pencil

 




No comments:

Post a Comment